Outside of Perth and the South West distances between parks, towns and roadhouses offering essential services like fuel, food and accommodation can be few and far between. Vehicle spares, repairs and breakdown services can be difficult to find. Journey times may stretch to days and fatigue, particularly after hours of driving long straight roads, is a real risk. Be sure to take regular breaks and share the driving load. Visit the Office of Road Safety for more advice on how to stay safe on our roads. Away from parks and main roads, you may need the permission of traditional custodians (go to Department of Aboriginal Affairs) or pastoral station managers (go to Department of Lands) for access. Advance route-planning is essential.

Many parks and recreation areas are only accessible by gravel or dirt roads. Road surfaces may be loose or corrugated, tyres can spin and lose grip, dust may reduce visibility and gravel may be thrown up. When driving or riding these roads you should reduce your speed to suit the condition of the road, leave extra distance from the vehicle in front and don't brake suddenly. If you’re hiring a vehicle, check that your agreement permits use on unsealed roads.

A number of places are only accessible by roads and tracks that are not suitable for all types of road vehicles. Only with a 4WD (four-wheel drive vehicle with high clearance and a low range gearbox) or adventure touring motorcycle will you be able to get to some of the more remote areas of our parks. Venturing onto these roads is not recommended for the inexperienced - you need to be adequately equipped and prepared. Always observe track closures and speed limits. See 4WD & adventure motorcycling and 'Travelling in the remote' for more information.

We strongly recommend you always carry a current edition printed road atlas. For more on route planning, road safety and current road conditions see the Office of Road Safety and Main Roads WA.


Most marine and many coastal parks can be accessed by boat. For information on boating regulations and safety, tide and coastal weather forecasts and for nautical charts refer to the Department of Transport. Further regulations apply in some marine park zones and landing is prohibited at some nature reserves.

Jetties and boat ramps, for inland as well as coastal parks, are park facilities that are shown throughout this website and can be searched for from the GO page. Other places that are suitable to launch canoes and kayaks can be found by searching for that activity from either the GO or Canoeing/Kayaking pages.

On foot and bicycle

The long distance Bibbulmun Track and Munda Biddi Trail offer bushwalkers and cyclists an opportunity to experience a number of parks in the Experience Perth and South West regions, and there are many thousands of kilometres of shorter trails for bushwalkers and mountain bikers. For more information see the DO section of this website.

Public transport & tours

Transperth bus services serve some parks in and on the outskirts of the Perth metropolitan area.

Transwa operates train and coach services between 275 destinations in the state’s south west quarter and there are a number of services offered by private companies. None of these operators service parks.

For information on the scheduled air services that operate on routes across the state, refer to the Department of Transport.

There are many operators offering a huge variety of tours across the state from budget backpacker itineraries to luxury packages. Search for a tour at Tourism Western Australia.