Nanga townsite started in 1901 and at one time included a store, a butcher’s shop, hall, billiard room, school, tennis courts and sports oval. The timber mill employed 100 men. But the Great Depression took its toll on the once-flourishing township. The mill burnt down in a case of suspected arson in 1941 and, although rebuilt, the town never recovered its former glory. What was left of it was destroyed by fire in 1961, but the remains of the town remain among the trees.
The 3.8-kilometre Chuditch walk trail takes in the heritage aspects of Nanga Townsite and Nanga Mill.
Nanga town site is a small campground adjacent to Nanga Road it offers a variety of campsites that are ideally suited to families and small groups. There are designated parking bays and it is not suitable for caravans, camper trailers and other larger vehicles. The campground has picnic tables, toilets and rubbish bins.
Campfires are usually permitted, in the provided fire rings only, between April 15 and November 30 but fire restrictions may be imposed at any time and without notice. Bring your own firewood. When fire restrictions are in place campfires must not be lit and any appliance powered by burning solid fuel must not be used.
Campers´ own liquid or gas fuel barbeques, stoves and heaters can be used at any time, unless a total fire ban has been declared (see Department of Fire and Emergency Services).
Bookings cannot be made.
The campground is very popular during school holidays and weekends from October to April, particularly public holiday weekends. Be prepared with an alternative place to stay at these times in case there is no suitable site available.
Nanga Brook, which is spring fed flows through the campground, it is ideal for swimming and especially good for children - with the appropriate adult supervision.
Nanaga Townsite is located six kilometres from the Lane Poole entry station on Nanga Road.