Situated at the mouth of the Swan River, Fremantle Harbour is Western Australia's largest cargo port. Historically, when the Swan River Colony was founded in 1829, the entrance to the Swan River was largely blocked by a limestone bar, which made the mouth of the river hard to traverse. In 1892, C.Y O’Connor began to construct the inner Fremantle Harbour (known as Victoria Quay). Construction of the inner Fremantle Harbour required the removal of the limestone bar and sand shoals at the mouth of the Swan River. The harbour was completed in 1903.
To Whadjuk Noongar people the river confluence with the ocean is known as Majarree and both sides of the inland Fremantle area as Wallyalup, meaning place of the eagle. The Swan River from the ocean confluence to Melville Water is named Derbal Yaragan and is a significant fishing area for Noongars. This area is particularly important as the river mouth was created by the Waugal, a powerful, serpent like dreamtime spirit.
Today Fremantle Harbour is not only a fully operating port but also a lively and bustling destination for both locals and visitors. Victoria Quay has a range of shops, restaurants and historic sites to see. These include the Western Australian Maritime Museum, the HMAS Ovens Oberon Class Submarine, the E-Shed Markets, and the O'Connor Ferry Landing for cruises along the Swan River and to Rottnest Island.
This site is managed by the City of Fremantle where you can find more information.